Are you in need of a Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Mississippi?
Like just about everybody else, you presumably purchase insurance to cover as many of the bad and sometimes unforeseeable things that can take place without warning in your day-to-day personal or professional life.
Then, should disaster strike, you have the needed coverage to recuperate quickly from your losses and hopefully without encountering any financial distress, or at least that’s what you think. In some instances, these big insurance companies will mislead or even misinform us in order to evade their responsibility to examine a claim or give the appropriate payout. When this happens, the insurance company is considered to be acting in bad faith. Regrettably, there are examples of bad faith insurance companies in most insurance fields. The most prevalent causes of bad faith insurance include, but are not limited to:
- Life Insurance: The insurance provider declines to pay full policy benefits after a loved one dies. This is particularly true with claims under “burial policies,” which are intended to give enough benefits to manage your family member’s funeral. It also pertains to claims wherein the insured party passes away within a two-year span of purchasing the policy, which, under Mississippi law, is known as the “contestability period.”
- Fire Insurance: The insurance provider declines to pay full policy benefits for damages resulting from a fire. Usually, the insurance provider will claim the fire was started by arson. This argument, however, is extremely hard for insurance providers to demonstrate. Rather, the insurance provider will likely stall the claim for a span of several months and continue demanding that the policyholder give ever-increasing amounts of financial and personal information, with the belief that the policyholder will ultimately give up and decline to give the provider any further information. At that point, the insurance provider turns down the claim for the policyholder’s supposed “failure to cooperate.”
- Homeowner’s Insurance: The majority of homeowner’s policies in the State of Mississippi are what are known as “all-risk” policies. This means that they offer coverage for any “direct physical loss” to the house. To circumvent coverage for any “direct physical loss” under this kind of insurance policy, the insurance provider has to establish that an exclusion pertains to the loss. If the cause of the loss is wholly unknown, then it will be covered. A lot of the time, particularly with claims that involve tornado or hurricane damage, or for claims concerning water damage, insurance providers deny these claims without ever showing that the damage was created by an excluded risk. On occasion, they will even use paid “experts” to misrepresent the truth concerning the actual cause of the loss.
- Health Insurance: The insurance provider declines to pay full policy benefits for medical bills or declines to pre-approve specific medical services that should be covered by the insurance policy.
- Automobile / Uninsured Motorist Coverage: The insurance provider declines to pay full policy benefits for damages to your car or injuries that you sustained because of another motorist’s carelessness, especially in cases where the other motorist was uninsured or did not have adequate insurance to manage your injuries when those losses should have, in fact, been covered under the insurance policy.
- Disability Benefits: The insurance provider declines to pay or stops providing disability benefits, despite the fact that you are handicapped and cannot go back to work.
If you have filed an insurance claim in Mississippi for personal property damage, car damage from an auto accident, damage to your home, condo, or rental property, or property damage arising from a natural disaster or other catastrophic accident, your insurance company is required by law to act in good faith.
If the insurance company violates any of their duties, they may be acting in bad faith and you will need the assistance of a skilled Mississippi bad faith or unfair claims practices lawyer on your side. The Germany Law Firm, PLLC has more than 38 years of personal injury law experience and has successfully represented Mississippians who have been victimized by their insurance company’s bad faith practices throughout the years. Call us today to find out how we can help you too.
Filing a Bad Faith Insurance Claim in Mississippi
Mississippi typically has three tiers of claims in the event that insurance is at issue:
(1) mere breach of contract, allowing recovery of contract damages;
(2) breach of contract and no arguable basis for breach, which entitles recovery of consequential damages; and
(3) breach of contract, no arguable basis for breach, and malice/gross disregard for the rights of the insured, which entitles the recovery of punitive damages.
All contracts, which include insurance policies, come with an assumed agreement of “good faith and fair dealing.” Regrettably, Mississippi’s state legislature has not found it prudent to enact an official Unfair Claims Settlement Practices Act, unlike most other states have seen fit to do. As a result, they have not codified via written legislation that “common law” can establish violations of the duty of good faith and fair dealing.
Insurance policyholders are often presented with a number of obstacles when they are forced to challenge the insurance companies. You can feel comfortable that the attorneys at the Germany Law Firm, PLLC have decades of personal injury law experience and will be aggressive adversaries for you. The Germany Law Firm, PLLC has the skills and knowledge of all Mississippi laws regarding bad faith or unfair insurance claims and has the time and resources needed to get you the money that you are entitled to.
Our team of bad faith insurance lawyers has filed claims on behalf of the following type of property owners:
- Residential and commercial property tenants
- Apartment building property owners
- Residential homeowners
- Condominium owner associations
- Churches and nonprofits
- Business owners
- Industrial property owners
Several of the claims that we’ve handled through the more than 38 years in practice have involved property damage caused by natural disasters, such as fires, floods, hurricanes, hail storms, and windstorms. Others were affected by other such tragedies such as vandalism or theft. Whatever the cause of the damage, if you were injured, you deserve full and fast payment for your insurance claim.
Evidence of a Bad Faith Claim in Mississippi
A vast majority of insurance companies are “for-profit” organizations that are generally focused on their bottom lines at all times. These insurance companies don’t usually make bad faith decisions deliberately. They are under immense pressure to maximize their profits. This pressure can and sometimes does result in business practices that can have adverse effects on the insurance policyholders including, but not limited to the following:
- Refusal to properly investigate a claim
- Denial of a claim payment without reasonable grounds
- Unusual or unreasonable delay in payment
- Unreasonably finding fault with a claim
- Failure to explain a claim denial
- Failure to respond to a request in a reasonable timeframe
- Hiding evidence or ignoring evidence of damage
- Harassment of a claimant
- Poor or inappropriate investigation tactics
- See our locations in Jackson and Southaven.
If you filed a claim with your insurance company and you feel that your insurance company has wrongfully denied your claim, you may be entitled to file a bad faith claim. If your claim involves a payment that has been unreasonably delayed or underpaid, you may also have the right to file a bad faith claim. The bad faith attorneys in our Jackson office can review your claim in its entirety, along with thoroughly reviewing your insurance policy in an effort to put together the strongest case possible against your insurance company. Call us today to schedule a consultation with one of our specialists today to find out if you have the right to pursue a claim for your bad faith insurance claim.
Bad Faith Insurance Attorneys in Mississippi
If you feel that your insurance provider has perpetrated an act of bad faith, or even if you simply have a question regarding your rights under a particular insurance policy, we strongly recommend that you reach out to the bad faith insurance attorneys at Germany Law Firm, PLLC. Our team of dedicated bad faith attorneys serves clients in Jackson and throughout the state of Mississippi. We have the knowledge, the resources, time, and experience that is required to challenge these massive insurance companies contesting your claim and walk away a winner.
The Germany Law Firm, PLLC has been in business for more than 38 years, and we have the skills and dedication necessary to prevail in your bad faith or unfair insurance claim. We have helped countless injured Mississippi residents successfully win their bad faith insurance cases and get the compensation to which they are entitled from the company that is supposed to be providing for them. Call us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our specialists to see how we can help you at 601-401-6884.