What If My Loved One is Neglected in a Mississippi Nursing Home?Mississippi Legal News
Nursing home abuse is quite well known, but nursing home neglect can also result in major distress and injuries over time. No family should have to deal with these kinds of consequences at the hands of a trusted medical professional or nursing home facility. Some nursing home neglect has led to prolonged suffering and premature death. If this happened to your loved one, then you may have the option to file a Mississippi medical malpractice lawsuit. An experienced Mississippi Medical Malpractice Attorney can help you start this process.
What is Mississippi Nursing Home Neglect?
There is no comparing neglect to abuse because they are both horrible acts, but not everyone realizes that neglect can result in tragic consequences like death. Mississippi nursing home neglect happens when a health care professional responsible for the care of a nursing home resident fails to provide that care in a timely manner. Not all neglect looks the same and comes in many forms like:
- Ignoring a person completely despite pleas for help or assistance
- Do not meet physical needs
- Fail to meet social needs
- Making fun of or intentionally ignoring emotional needs
- Not providing basic necessities like food, water, and hygiene
- Withholding medications or other necessities
There is also such a thing as self-neglect, something not everyone is as familiar with as caregiver neglect. Self-neglect, while not something that sounds actionable in court, can be addressed in a malpractice claim if the health care professional continuously allowed self-neglect to occur despite being fully aware of this issue. This is because self-neglect can also lead to serious problems like:
- Substance abuse and overdose
- Self-harm or self-mutilation
- Diseases from poor hygiene
The psychological harm caused by repeated neglect by health care professionals can result in profound harm to residents and their families. Consider talking to a lawyer about filing for pain and suffering damages if your loved one was harmed by a negligent Mississippi nursing home.
How to Recognize Signs of Mississippi Nursing Home Neglect
The first step in filing a malpractice lawsuit is recognizing the most common signs of Mississippi nursing home neglect. Once you list these out, you can build a strong malpractice claim to take legal action and end the neglect. Different people will show different signs of neglect, but the most common signs are:
- Poor hygiene every time you visit
- Medical conditions that seem to worsen despite promised medical care
- Unclean bed sheets
- Skin rashes
- Lack of resources like food
- Extreme weight loss
- Multiple complaints by your loved one about poor conditions or being ignored concerning serious issues
- Unexplained diseases with irrational causes
Medical Malpractice Attorney in Mississippi
You do not have to let the neglect continue. All you have to do is call the Germany Law Firm, PLLC at (607) 487-0555 to speak with a Jackson Medical Malpractice Lawyer for a consultation today. Our dedicated team of Mississippi medical malpractice attorneys can help you obtain compensation for any damages to your loved one like medical expenses, pain and suffering, and lost wages.