Top Questions after a Deadly Drunk Driving Accident in MississippiMississippi Legal News
After a tragic wrongful death incident, the loved ones left behind most likely feel devastated and emotionally vulnerable. Still, the costs that come with a shocking death can add up fast, and loved ones can easily become overwhelmed with the financial burdens of the event.
There are many ways that a fatal accident can happen. One of the most common reasons is vehicular accidents. While several factors can cause a car accident to take place, driving while intoxicated is a leading reason. Each day in the United States, there are more than 30 people who will lose their lives as a result of a deadly car accident caused by an impaired driver.
If you lost a loved one in a car accident because the driver was inebriated on drugs or alcohol, speaking to a wrongful death attorney could be helpful. Bringing about a successful wrongful death claim could mean obtaining the compensation necessary to help you pay for the damages that were caused by the incident.
What Should You Know About a Wrongful Death Claim
The families that are left behind after a loved one loses their life in an accident can take legal action for compensation. If you live in Jackson, MS Bob Germany is a Jackson wrongful death attorney that understands the system and how to help victims obtain the compensation they are entitled to.
There are some common questions that families have regarding the wrongful death claims process and drunk driving. The top three include:
- How is liability established after a deadly drunk driving accident?
- It is important to show that the driver who caused the crash was inebriated at the time of the accident. It is likely that tests were done on that driver and the results of these tests can be incredibly valuable. Also, social media can tell a story. If there were posts, pictures, or videos of the individual drinking or engaging in other risky activities before the accident took place, this information can be used. Last, witness testimony, surveillance footage, and receipts from an establishment that served the individual alcohol can also all be useful.
- What compensation is a family of a deceased individual from a drunk driving accident entitled to obtain?
- Eligible family members can file a Mississippi wrongful death claim for damages including final expenses and burial costs, pain and suffering, property destruction, loss of companionship and/or mentorship, emotional distress, lost wages, and more. Surviving spouses and their children, deceased parents, and the decedent’s siblings are examples of eligible parties that may be awarded compensation for the death of a loved one.
Also, when it comes to drunk driving there could be a punitive component to one’s case. If this is true, additional compensation may be granted to family members.
- What is the statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death claim in Mississippi?
- Each state has its own time limit to file a wrongful death claim. In Mississippi, the statute of limitations to file a wrongful death claim is three years, which is not that long.
Speak to a Jackson Wrongful Death Attorney Today
Taking legal action will not heal the pain of losing a loved one but it can help families secure justice for the harm they had to endure. Call the Jackson car accident attorney at Germany Law Firm, PLLC today to schedule a free consultation at (601) 487-0555.