Top 5 Factors that Help Establish Liability After a Car AccidentMississippi Legal News
When a car accident happens, a victim that is injured may want to file a personal injury claim for compensation against the party that caused the accident. In the state of Mississippi, victims of car accidents have the ability to hold negligent parties accountable for the harm they endured.
If you were injured in a car accident in Jackson, after you see your doctor, speaking with a legal professional may be helpful. Bob Germany is a Jackson car accident attorney with more than four decades helping victims like yourself, secure fair settlements from their injury claims. Do not hesitate to reach out to Germany Law Firm, PLLC after your accident for more information.
5 Ways to Determine Liability after a Car Crash
To be successful with your personal injury claim it is a must that you prove the other party was liable. If you can do this, you improve your chances for compensation. The following five factors can be used to figure out who is responsible for an accident:
- If the police came to the scene, it is likely that they took notes and may even be talked to the parties involved. Then, from what they have seen and heard, they will form a report. The report may or may not have the police officer’s opinion of who was at fault for the incident occurring. Even though a police report may be considered when determining liability, it does not mean that the party named in the report will be actually found responsible. Though, a police report can be helpful.
- Insurance adjusters will investigate the accident scene. This is to collect information and get a better idea of what happened as well as who is responsible for causing the car accident to take place.
- If there were any witnesses at the scene, they may be willing to provide a statement or testimony about what they saw. The more witnesses supporting your claim, the more believable your story is. If you are working with a car accident lawyer, which is recommended, your lawyer can reach out to these individuals on your behalf.
- If you are not immobilized from the accident and you can move about, take pictures of everything. Photos can help prove liability. So can videos. Potentially there was a street, store, or personal video that was taken which shows the accident actually happening. Or, at least a portion of the accident taking place.
- What drivers involved in the accident say to each other also could be used to show fault. For example, it is understandable to be distressed after an accident, but do not default to apologizing for it. While it may feel natural to want to say you’re sorry even when you did not cause the crash, doing so may be taken as an admission of guilt. Do not discuss the accident at all with others. Only speak facts of how the accident happened when the police ask.
Speak to a Jackson Car Accident Attorney Today
Working with an experienced attorney can help you maximize the amount you recover from your injury claim. Call the Germany Law Firm, PLLC today to schedule a free consultation with the Jackson personal injury lawyer at (601) 487-0555.