Morton, MS (May 07, 2022) - A man died after he was hit by a truck while out riding his bike along Highway 80 in Morton on Thursday, May 5th.
According to an investigator with the Morton Police Department, 38-year-old Dion Ratliff was struck in the eastbound lanes of Highway 80 at about 9:30 p.m.
Ratliff was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the truck stayed on the scene and is cooperating with the active investigation.
We would like to offer our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased victim, Mr. Dion Ratliff, at this time.
Bicycle Accidents in Mississippi
While the overwhelming majority of bicycle accidents take place in metropolitan areas, these incidents can happen anywhere at any time.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration published several notable bicycle crash statistics including:
- Over 70% of bike fatalities take place in more populated areas while less than 30% happen in rural locations
- Roughly 30% of bike accidents take place at intersections
- Just under 60% of bicycle crashes occur outside of intersections
- Only 4% of bicycle collisions actually take place inside a designated bike lane
Some of the more common causes of accidents involving cyclists include:
- Distracted driving: This applies to both bicycle riders and motorists. Drivers who are distracted due to sending text messages, talking on the phone, drinking, eating, or trying to read directions can easily miss a bicycle rider on the roadway. The same can be said of cyclists if they are looking at their phones or adjusting their headphones. Even one second of inattention means taking your eyes off of the roadway and overlooking a pothole, an automobile, or some other hazard.
- Speeding: Speeding vehicles are a danger to everybody on the roadway, especially pedestrians and people riding bikes. The consequences that come with speeding are often magnified by the landscape, inclement weather conditions, various road hazards, and how much traffic is in the area at the time of the incident.
- Riding too close to a lane: Accidents are difficult to evade when automobiles try to pass too closely to someone riding a bike. According to the law in Mississippi, motorists are required to leave no less than three feet of room when passing riders.
- Dooring: Mississippi law also states that drivers should never open their vehicle doors unless they can do so safely and without interrupting the flow of traffic. This law is designed to help stop a particular kind of accident known as a dooring accident. Dooring accidents take place when an oblivious driver opens their vehicle door and strikes a cyclist or causes a rider to crash into the door or into another vehicle.
If you or a relative has been hurt in a bicycle accident, the Morton bike accident attorneys at Germany Law Firm, PLLC are prepared to protect your rights. We have the experience and the ability you will need in order to obtain the economic recovery the law says you deserve.
If you were hurt or lost a loved one due to the recklessness or negligence of another driver, then we encourage you to have your claim assessed. Contact our personal injury attorneys in Mississippi by calling (601) 487-0555 to schedule your free consultation.
Note: The information provided within these posts has been gathered from outside sources, for Germany Law Firm, PLLC, and, as such, has not been independently verified. All provided information has been gathered from secondary sources including news bulletins and other first-hand accounts. If you find any information that is incorrect or you would like this post to be removed, please contact our law firm immediately so that we can correct the story or remove it entirely from the website.
Disclaimer: At Germany Law Firm, PLLC, we provide the information found in these accident reports as a resource for families who have been in similar situations and to raise awareness about the dangers of driving. We would also like to honor the victims who have been injured or lost their life as a result of a Mississippi accident and hope that the information reported will help prevent future accidents. The photographs depicted in these posts are not representative of the actual accident scene.