Madison Co, MS (July 30, 2022) - Several workers were severely burned during an explosion on the morning of Thursday, July 28th morning explosion at a saltwater disposal site in Madison County.
At least six people sustained burns on more than half of their bodies. One worker was burned over 100% of their body, according to the Madison County Fire Coordinator.
Two of the victims were med-flighted to the University of Mississippi Medical Center for immediate treatment.
As of Friday, the cause of the explosion was still under investigation.
The workers were in the process of changing out two of the four storage tank facilities that hold products from oil wells with new fiberglass tanks. As they were getting ready to go into service, one of the older tanks exploded.
The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality was requested to the scene to aid in the investigation.
The victims are employees of the Mississippi-based welding and fabrication company, W.S. Red Hancock.
Our thoughts are with the injured victim and their family at this time. We hope for their full recovery.
Toxic Tort Claims in Mississippi
A toxic tort is a civil claim filed by a victim who has sustained physical and/or financial damages due to exposure to a dangerous substance. Typically, these include pesticides, dangerous or defective pharmaceutical medications, and other hazardous chemicals or materials.
Toxic torts frequently involve:
- Exposure at Work: Workers exposed to dangerous materials or chemicals in the course of performing their duties are at a much higher risk of developing workplace illnesses, including life-threatening and debilitating diseases. For example, workers who are exposed to Asbestos which causes mesothelioma, a deadly form of cancer.
- Exposure at Home: People can be exposed to dangerous substances in their communities and homes, particularly when there are spills or leaks that contaminate their food, water, or air. In a fire involving a toxic substance, the smoke can cause widespread illness and disease.
- Pharmaceutical Medications: The pharmaceutical industry has a duty to make sure its drugs are safe for consumer use. Unfortunately, they tend to prioritize profits and allow knowing toxic medications into the retail market. There are many pharmaceutical drugs that have caused patients to experience serious and unintended illnesses.
Toxic exposure can take place during the course of a victim’s work, as the result of leaks or spills that impact the environment, or when a victim ingests a dangerous substance in the belief that it was safe when used as intended.
Toxic torts are complicated cases that involve multiple areas of the law. This is one of the reasons why working with a lawyer who has the versatility and experience to take on this kind of challenge and produce a successful resolution to your case.
The most common causes of toxic torts in Mississippi are those involving:
- Occupational exposure and disease
- Exposure to asbestos causing mesothelioma, asbestosis, and other respiratory issues
- Defective or dangerous medications
- Spilled fuel and other chemicals
- Gas and oil leaks
- Polychlorinated biphenyls
- Polluted water
- Insecticides, rodenticides, and pesticides
If you or a loved one has endured an illness or injury caused by exposure to a toxic substance, you may be entitled to file a toxic tort claim against the negligent party.
If you sustained injuries due to the carelessness, negligence, or dereliction of another person or entity, our lawyers are prepared to investigate your potential personal injury claim. Contact a toxic tort attorney at Germany Law Firm, PLLC by calling (601) 487-0555 to schedule a case evaluation.
Note: The information provided within these posts has been gathered from outside sources, for Germany Law Firm, PLLC, and, as such, has not been independently verified. All provided information has been gathered from secondary sources including news bulletins and other first-hand accounts. If you find any information that is incorrect or you would like this post to be removed, please contact our law firm immediately so that we can correct the story or remove it entirely from the website.
Disclaimer: At Germany Law Firm, PLLC, we provide the information found in these accident reports as a resource for families who have been in similar situations and to raise awareness about the dangers of driving. We would also like to honor the victims who have been injured or lost their life as a result of a Mississippi accident and hope that the information reported will help prevent future accidents. The photographs depicted in these posts are not representative of the actual accident scene.