Escatawpa, MS- Man Killed In Two-Boat CollisionMississippi Legal News
Escatawpa, MS (August 31, 2020)- A fatal two-boat collision on the Pascagoula River occurred on Sunday morning, August 30. The collision occurred around 10:15 am when a boat, with 57-year-old Calvin Brewer on board, collided with a second boat. Three minors were in the second boat at the time of the collision. Police and first responders were called to the scene to assist those involved.
Brewer was dead at the scene, the cause of death was blunt force trauma from the accident. The three minors that were in the second boat sustained minor injuries and received immediate medical attention. It is unknown at this time if there were any other serious injuries caused by the accident.
Agents with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks are currently investigating the accident to determine the cause.
We offer our sincere condolences to the family of the deceased. Our thoughts are with them and with everyone who has been affected by this unfortunate accident. There is nothing more heart wrenching than unexpectedly losing a loved one due to any kind of accident.
Boating Accidents In Mississippi
In the state of Mississippi in 2017, there were 4,291 total boating accidents, with 599 of those being fatal. The fatal accidents caused a total of 658 deaths. The months of June and July saw the highest numbers of fatal and non-fatal boating accidents.
There are many factors that can cause a boating accident. These include:
- Operating While Intoxicated- Alcohol led to 275 accidents, 102 deaths, and 227 injuries in 2017. Drug use caused 10 accidents, 10 deaths, and 2 injuries.
- Operator Error- Whether it’s from inexperience, not being aware of surroundings, or inattention, boating accidents can easily occur.
- Weather- Poor weather such as thunderstorms always make boating more dangerous. Always check your local weather before deciding to go out on a boat.
- Equipment Failure- Boating accidents are not always caused by human error. If a piece of boating equipment is faulty or has simply worn out, this can be a great danger to you and others out on the water.
- Improper Loading- All boats have a weight limit, and overloading, or not heeding to those weight limits, can cause serious issues while on the water.
- Water Conditions- If the water has higher waves than usual or is extra choppy, even if it is nice outside, there is a high chance of an accident happening.
At Germany Law Firm, PLLC, we know that there is nothing more painful than losing a loved one in an accident that could have been avoided. Keep in mind that you deserve representation and compensation for your loss. A wrongful death lawsuit may be suitable for you if your loved one was killed due to the actions or negligence of another person. If you or someone you know have lost a loved one in an accident that could have easily been avoided, call a wrongful death attorney at Germany Law Firm, PLLC at (601) 487-0555 for more information today.
Note: The information provided within these posts has been gathered from outside sources, for Germany Law Firm, PLLC and, as such, has not been independently verified. All provided information has been gathered from secondary sources including news bulletins and other first-hand accounts. If you find any information that is incorrect or you would like this post to be removed, please contact our law firm immediately so that we can correct the story or remove it entirely from the website.
Disclaimer: At Germany Law Firm, PLLC, we provide the information found in these accident reports as a resource for families who have been in similar situations and to raise awareness about the dangers of driving. We would also like to honor the victims who have been injured or lost their life as a result of a Mississippi accident and hope that the information reported will help prevent future accidents. The photographs depicted in these posts are not representative of the actual accident scene.