April 4, 2022

Do I Need an Attorney after Being Injured in a Car Accident in Mississippi?

Being in an automobile accident is one of the most traumatic things a person can go through. This is especially the case if the crash results in severe injury or fatalities. Unfortunately, in the state of Mississippi, the yearly cost of car crash-related deaths is $881 million. That figure includes both medical costs and work-loss costs. One of the more significant contributors to work-loss costs in the state of Mississippi and the country at large is car accident injuries.

Even the most cautious and conscientious drivers can be the victims of car accidents because they must share the road with other drivers who may be distracted, intoxicated, or simply careless. In 2016, 18% of all traffic deaths in the state of Mississippi were from drunk driving. Smartphones have increased dangers on the road as well. In fact, at any given daylight moment there are 660,000 drivers across America that are manipulating or using electronic devices. If you’ve been hurt in a car accident that wasn’t your fault, you may feel like you’re helpless. You may be in both physical and financial pain. But finding an attorney can help.

Your Rights during a Car Accident Investigation

, Do I Need an Attorney after Being Injured in a Car Accident in Mississippi?, Germany Law Firm PLLCIf you ever get in a car or truck accident in Mississippi, you should call 911 and contact the authorities straight away, even if you’re injured. You should then remain calm and become observant. Examine the other driver closely for signs of intoxication and do not admit fault at any point, as the police will determine whose fault the crash was.

From there, exchange information with the other driver, and note any injuries that you may have, no matter how insignificant they may seem. Take pictures of your car and its damage and get a copy of the police report. Make sure everything related to the accident (medical documents, reports, other information) is documented and kept safe. Once you’ve done all that, you should contact a law firm specializing in car accident injuries as soon as possible. The sooner you do this, the better chance you’ll have at recouping some of the damages.

A Mississippi personal injury law firm can also handle any potential questioning that you may receive from insurance companies who may try to convince you to take a smaller settlement than you’re entitled to. Do not speak to any claims adjusters without first talking to an attorney. Two state-specific laws in Mississippi are the statute of limitations and the pure comparative fault rule.

You’ll have three years from the date of the accident to file a civil suit in the Mississippi court system before the case will be dismissed. Thus, it’s important to act quickly by hiring an attorney. Mississippi is a “pure comparative fault” state. This means that the distribution of the personal injury settlement will be distributed via a percentage of fault. So, for example, if the accident was 10% your fault and the total settlement amount was $20,000 you would receive 90% of that amount, or $18,000. The other driver would receive 10%, or $2,000.

Contact a Mississippi Car Accident Personal Injury Lawyer Today

Getting in a car accident that results in an injury is a horrible experience for anyone to go through. The last thing you want is to be victimized twice by insurance companies trying to get you to accept a fraction of the settlement you’re legally entitled to. Enlisting an experienced personal injury law firm with vast amounts of experience handling these types of cases can ensure that you are compensated fairly for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

If you’ve been recently injured in a car accident, call the seasoned and skillful Mississippi car accident personal injury lawyers at Germany Law Firm PLLC. You can reach them at (601) 401-6884 to schedule your free consultation today.

A Voice For Injured Victims For 40 Years

LICENSED TO PRACTICE IN MISSISSIPPI AND ELSEWHERE

Germany Law Firm PLLC © Copyright 2022. All Rights Reserved.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram